Thursday, September 11, 2008

Serangoon Gardens Saga

Some would have heard about the possible plan of a workers' dormitory to be constructed and site of previous Serangoon Garden Technical School. About 500 residents signed a petition against it, and a dialogue session was arranged with MP George Yeo..

The controversial site is less than 400m away from my house, and I was pretty concern about the outcome. Heard from dad, the plan is called off already.. *heave a little sigh of relieve*

I read a piece of news from Yahoo news, but I cant find it anymore.. But i vividly remember, Singaporeans were urged to be more accommodating to foreign workers, after all they did contributed to our economy.. (something like that..) This saga has led to some people labeling residents of Serangoon Gardens as selfish, snobbish and racist..

To a certain extend, I'd actually say everyone has a selfish part of us within. And where we live doesn't change this fact.. You think if there's a proposal to locate the dormitory at River Valley? Orchard Road? and residents at these "exclusive residential areas" wouldn't mind at all?

We have to be frank that social issues bound to rise. Be clear i'm not being racist. My dad is in the construction line, and I appreciate the contribution of these workers to my dad's company. But we just cannot deny that we have very different way of life, and it is a better idea to house these workers at somewhere themselves and the society are comfortable..

It is common for us to see workers sitting on any empty grass patch at Little India on weekends. That is their way of life, as seen on streets of Delhi, Mumbai, etc.. Even before Ion was constructed, the grass patch abv Orchard MRT station, the patch is filled with filipino workers on weekends.. We see them having picnics there too. I don't see anything wrong with it. But take a walk down the backstreets of Geylang at night.. Fights after a few drinks are common. Really, no one wish for fights to take place anywhere near their homes. Even for residence at HDB estates, rite?

It's so not right to point fingers and make swiping remarks.. Hmpfff...

1:41 PM 0 comments


Disclaimer :

This is my personal blog, for sharing interesting photos, pretty designs and even juicy gossips with my friends. This is also my ranting space. I scream and shout anything and everything.

This blog is also open to public.
But as mommy has taught us, don't believe every word strangers say.

Anyone is free to read and comment. It's great if u like what u see. It's just too bad if you don't, since opinion is subjective.

I thank you for dropping by anyway.